Sunday, April 28, 2013

Some Recent Books

If you've been reading the other computer science blogs, you know that there are some new books out.

First is the The Golden Ticket: P, NP, and the Search for the Impossible, by Lance Fortnow, about the P vs. NP problem.  I got sent a review copy;  I haven't read it yet, but I'm testing it out by having my oldest daughter read it and tell me what she thinks, and I'll read it along with her.

Then there's Quantum Computing since Democritus, which covers complexity theory, quantum computing, cryptography, and a bunch of other stuff.

But there's more!  Thomas Cormen, of the famous CLRS Introduction to Algorithms book, has a new book out called Algorithms Unlocked, which seems to be a friendly introduction to the basics of algorithms.


On the popular books front, Eric Schmidt (yes that one) and Jared Cohen have a book out on The New Digital Age: Reshaping the Future of People, Nations and Business.

Also, the book Nine Algorithms That Changed the Future: The Ingenious Ideas That Drive Today's Computers, from some time ago, is out in paperback.



On the textbook side, last year Steven Gortler of Harvard introduced a new textbook for computer graphics that looks really good.  And of course, there's always that Mitzenmacher/Upfal Probability and Computing: Randomized Algorithms and Probabilistic Analysis to buy if it's not already on your shelf...


1 comment:

Richard said...

I am looking forward to reading Algorithms Unlocked. There is always something to discover about algorithms that I didn't seem to know.