Wednesday, April 08, 2009

ICALP paper list

The ICALP paper list is posted. It looks like a great set of papers; I encourage the authors to make them available on-line as soon as possible so those of us who can't travel the distance can have a look.

Some interesting titles (showing my bias):

Applications of a Splitting Trick by Martin Dietzfelbinger and Michael Rink: I tend to use the word "trick" when describing the key idea of a proof, although I was consistently told in graduate school not to. (I was told it makes it sound less like a mathematically important idea when you called it a trick. I admit, I don't interpret "trick" that way -- to me, a trick is exactly a clever and useful mathematically important idea in that context -- but I've generally avoided the term.) I want to know what the trick is.

A Better Algorithm for Random k-SAT by Amin Coja-Oghlan: I have a weakness for (random) SAT algorithms.

Sort Me If You Can: How to Sort Dynamic Data by Aris Anagnostopoulos, Ravi Kumar, Mohammad Mahdian and Eli Upfal: I don't know what that means, but the title grabbed me.

Multiple Random Walks and Interacting Particle Systems by Colin Cooper, Alan Frieze and Tomasz Radzik
AND
Derandomizing Random Walks in Undirected Graphs Using Locally Fair Exploration Strategies by Colin Cooper, David Ilcinkas, Ralf Klasing and Adrian Kosowski: I just gave my Algorithms + Data Structures lecture on the random-walk 2-SAT algorithm, so random walks are on my mind. And of course I have a weakness for random walk algorithms.

1 comment:

ryanw said...

My vote for best paper title of ICALP09 goes to:

Tak-Wah Lam, Lap-Kei Lee, Hing-Fung Ting, Isaac To and Prudence W.H. Wong.
Sleep with Guilt and Work Faster to Minimize Flow plus Energy

Here's to humorous paper titles with an interesting moral perspective...