Monday, April 06, 2009

Geography, and Where to Send

This week I'm finishing up some work for submission, though I'm having trouble figuring out where to send them. Both ESA and APPROX/RANDOM have deadlines on April 12. Then WADS has a deadline April 24. (Update: my bad, I misread; that's the date for when acceptance i s announced, not the deadline!!!!) Actually, it looks like WADS and APPROX/RANDOM are scheduled on the same dates, and even though APPROX/RANDOM is at Berkeley, Christos Papadimitriou and Richard Karp are apparently invited speakers at WADS, so I probably wouldn't get to see them. Arguably one of the papers is big enough it could be worth waiting for SODA, but my co-authors seem disinclined. Arguably I'd like to submit both to the same place to minimize possible travel, and this also gives the edge to APPROX/RANDOM. (Berkeley's not close to me, but my co-authors may end up going, and if I go, there's always enough things for me to do in the Bay Area that I can make the trip worthwhile.) I'm sure there are other deadlines I'm missing that someone can tell me about in the comments.

While it's nice to have lots of possibilities, somehow all this makes me feel that our community has perhaps a few too many smaller conferences and workshops. Somehow when multiple things are scheduled on the same day with some frequency in our relatively small community, it seems like we ought to consider whether this is the right setup.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually WADS deadline was March 4, so it already passed.

Rasmus Pagh said...

My biased coin would recommend ESA. Where else can you literally hang out in the meeting rooms? Where else will you get to ride a bike downtown with your colleagues? Where else will you be getting 100% organic food in the spirit of the UN climate conference? And of course, there is Tivoli.

Anonymous said...

Wait until most of the major conferences move to China, India, etc. Then you won't face these difficult choices :)

Pall Melsted said...

Is Tivoli still open in September?

Michael Mitzenmacher said...

Oops -- my bad. WADS results are the 24th, not submission. Thanks anon #1. Post updated.

Rasmus Pagh said...

Pall, the last day of Tivoli is September 20, so ESA is just in time.

Matt Welsh said...

Ironic that Mitzenmacher is not so keen on the power of two choices.