Wednesday, September 10, 2014

You Can Rename My Family for.....

An interesting article in today's Crimson about the background to the announcement that Harvard's School of Public Health will be re-named the Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health, for a $350 million donation.  Feel free to comment on your feelings regarding the issue.  (The Kennedy School of Government notwithstanding, Harvard schools have not been "named" via donations historically, although certainly buildings and such have.)  I'm not publicly taking sides -- indeed, it seems like a wonderful debate challenge to figure out arguments on both sides of the issue as to whether naming schools in this way is a good or bad idea.  Even if you think it's a good idea, you might wonder about the price tag...

In particular, I can't help but wonder what the naming rights of the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences could go for?  In the course of our capital campaign, will I have the chance to find out?  Maybe we could get a bidding war going?  How much would SEAS have to get for me to feel good about having "Harvard's XXXX School of Engineering and Applied Sciences" on my letterhead for some appropriate name XXXX? 

At a baser level, Mitzenmacher has always been a problematic name.  Too long.  (On so many standardized forms, I end up as Michae Mitzenmache....)  Maybe I should offer myself up for naming rights.  Sadly, I don't think I'd get $350 million.  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What happens when a school gets named after someone who is later involved in a horrible scandal? Does the naming contract have a morality clause?

Anonymous said...

My wife who is an alum of HSPH is not pleased. A data point for what it is worth.

-C

Anonymous said...

Following Infinite Jest, some plausible names:

The Harvard Depends Adult Undergarment School of Engineering and Applied Sciences

The Harvard Whopper School of Engineering and Applied Sciences

The Harvard Dairy Products from the American Heartland School of Engineering and Applied Sciences

Michael Mitzenmacher said...

Anon #1: I believe in the HSPH case the school is being named after a person who has already passed, so ostensibly there are no scandals lurking. (The money is being donated by the man's son.)

Anon #2: Why is your wife not pleased? I am curious, if you are willing to share. If not, thanks for the data point.

Anon #3: Assuming the naming would be for a person and not a product, are there similarly amusing plausible names?

Anonymous said...

rich gets richer. who will donate to the poor state schools?