Sunday, November 18, 2007

David Parkes talk Monday, 4pm

David Parkes will be giving a talk on computational mechanism design in Maxwell-Dworkin G115 at 4pm on the 19th. This is what at Harvard we call the "tenure talk" -- it's a talk he gives giving an overview of his research and research area as he's coming up for tenure. If you're a theorist in the area and want to hear a perhaps slightly different point of view on mechanism design and work at the intersection of economics/cs (David proves things, but he comes from the AI side), you should come. Heck, if you're local, in any area, and interested in the economics/cs interface you should come. It should be a very nice talk, and it would be great to have the room full to bursting as a sign of support of David.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If he were a real theorist, he would understand the fundamental principle of not giving a talk on Nov 19.

Anonymous said...

What a stupid comment.

Anonymous said...

How was the lecture? did you like it? Does David get his tenure?

Anonymous said...

I would say that a tenure at Harvard is more important than an extra STOC paper :). Unless he did NOT want theorists at his talk, which I highly doubt, I think it's just a coincidence. Having said it, I regret missing his talk...

Michael Mitzenmacher said...

There is never a good time to give a talk; there are always conflicts. I doubt the STOC deadline was a consideration in the timing.

I liked his lecture, I think it did what a "tenure talk" is supposed to do. There are still more steps in the chain until he get tenure, though. (By my phrasing, I hope you can tell I'm optimistic about the outcome.)